Have I mentioned that I LOVE Nauvoo? Have I suggested you go?! You need to go. In most places, we were the only ones there and it was awesome that the missionaries worked one on one with our kids. We had all of the sites to ourselves. (for the most part) It was awesome! This was at the Browning gunsmith shop. It was cool.
Here we are learning about making guns and the missionary told a story about Brownings son making a gun at 11 years old. Don't get any ideas kids. Please.
At the tinsmith shop learning how to make things out of tin. Again, only ones there! It was awesome!
This was at the post office/general store area. The sisters let the kids try carrying buckets and imagine carrying water to dad working on the temple.
We went to the John Taylor home. Hayden said this was his favorite because of the story about President Taylors son. The Taylors were packing up to head out of Nauvoo. They didn't have much time to get packed because the mob was coming. They also had very limited room so they couldn't take everything. John Taylors son was 5 years old and had a little rocking horse that was his favorite toy. He couldn't take it west with him. The family crossed the Mississippi and they had camped on the other side. They were there for a few days and the son was increasingly sad. President Taylor asked his son what was wrong and the son said he missed his horse. Father and son talked about how everyone must make sacrifices. The son agreed and knew that this was his sacrifice. During the night, John Taylor crossed the Mississippi and had to sneak back inside his home because the mob was already in Nauvoo. He got back into his home and got his sons horse. This horse went all the way to Salt Lake City. When the church was restoring the home back in Nauvoo, the Taylor family donated this horse to go back to Nauvoo.
The newspaper shop was also a lot of fun. The sister missionaries let the kids play with the press and try moving it. They really liked it!
Last summer Corrine was trying to make her own bricks. She found this trip to the Nauvoo brick yard very educational. She learned a lot of things on how to make a brick and I think she is ready to try again this summer.
The kids also said one of their favorite things was making the family rope together. Hayden had to spin the rope while the others worked on tying it. It was fun watching them work together.
Kate wasn't into the "family object lesson" so much.
Sariah got to work at the black smith shop! I think she is ready to start learning how to weld with dad.
The kids also liked the Seventies Hall. This was basically the first MTC. The kids are standing at the pulpit where prophets have stood!
One of the things I enjoyed the most about Nauvoo was a little play the missionaries did the last night we were there. It was so funny and the music was great. Sadly, I didn't get any pictures of it because we couldn't. Have I mentioned that I LOVE Nauvoo? You really need to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment