Saturday, April 19, 2014

Trail of hope

Because Jakob and Keiths robot team made it to worlds, we packed up the kids and hauled everyone to St. Louis MO.  I decided that we should go a few days early and see Nauvoo.  It was purely a selfish act. Church history sights are my favorite vacation places and I had never been to Nauvoo.  I think it is Beautiful!
We were going to spend 3 nights in Nauvoo and one of the days was a Sunday. I didn't want to spend a ton of time and money eating out while in Nauvoo. So, we got a hotel that was actually a small condo.  It was a 2 bedroom & 2 bathroom with king size beds. It had a little family room and kitchen. It was very nice and very family friendly. I loved it!

The first thing we did in Nauvoo was take the horse drawn wagon ride around the city. Kate LOVED the horses.  Their names are Lehi and Nephi.
This is the way to travel around town!
I couldn't get enough of the temple. It is so beautiful up on the hill of Nauvoo.
This is a picture from the trail of hope. This is the path the saints took to the Missisippi river as they had to evacuate the city. I can't image how hard it would be to walk away from the beautiful little city they had built. How did they leave this temple after they had sacrificed so much?
Speaking of trail of hope..... or was it tears?  Kate took the name to heart.  She cried down most of it. I would like to think its because she felt  the spirit.  In reality, she screamed because she is almost 2. She wanted to push the stroller.  She didn't want to push the stroller. She wanted to have Keith carry her.  She didn't want dad to carry her. So, to all of those that were trying to feel the spirit and ponder on the happenings of the trail of hope... you are welcome.  We wanted you to really hear some weeping and wailing.  We did what we could have to real tears.
Jakob will be 16 in a week.  He needs to have more hours of driving experience so we figured the middle of Nebraska would be a great place to get it.   So, here is Jakob driving us around. This will be the scariest picture I post. 
I strongly encourage you to go to Nauvoo.  Go the end of April/first of May. There was NO ONE there.  It was just us and the cute little missionaries. Everyone was done with spring break. We loved being the only ones in most of the building and the missionaries loved having our kids there.  You need to go to Nauvoo!

No comments: