Sunday, June 3, 2018

A day in our life... or 1/2 a day.....

Saturday morning we agreed to meet the Fox Family at the base of Timpanogos cave and hike up together. There was much laughter. There was much excitement. There was a little danger.
The guide had to give us a quick "warning" before we started. In the area that has painted stripes, don't stop and rest.  Move quickly in those parts because that is where there is most risk for falling rocks. Kate took her job seriously to make sure we did not slow down in those patches. The guide also said to watch out for dangerous goats, sheep (chuckle chuckle) and snakes. My dear friend Peter (3) got very excited at the mention of snakes. Im surprised he still likes me after finding out how much I despise snakes. No matter.  I prayed we wouldn't find any snakes. He prayed we would. We began the hike. It was a lovely morning.
Not long after we began, I remembered that I can not breath. About a year ago the doctor said I have "exercise induced  asthma".... I think that's fancy for "you are out of shape and your lungs suck." Im supposed to use an inhailer. Well, I didn't bring one. The symptoms are coughing, tightening of chest, wheezing, unusual fatigue when exercising, and shortness of breath while exercising. I added this so that I can feel better at my accomplishment. No I didn't!  I added that information to try to justify how out of shape I am. Treatment: Take your inhaler you out of shape mountain climbing fake.  Oh well, I still did it despite my many medical disabilities.
These guys can actually get along... sometimes.
What a great group of boys. Im glad they have each other.
Kings of the hill. Nature is good for boys. I need to get them out more.
Betsy, Peter, and Jakob were kind enough to stay with me and we did make it to the top. I realize I can't really call it hiking on a paved trail, but I need all the moments I can get. Kate's job was to make sure Keith didn't fall off the edge or go too slow in the "stripey parts."
Im grateful to good friends that love me while pushing me to do more. I also like this picture.... I never like pictures that Im in .
MUCH to Peters dismay, a snake was never found. I didn't cry.  After our morning of "How the Fox Family Does Saturday" we went to the park for some pizza. While there, we decided to spend the afternoon with "How the Schramm Family Does Saturday".   We went home, got some chain saws, a truck and went to work cutting down a tree at the Fox Family Home.  This tree was VERY tall and VERY dead.  I knew Keith could do this job, but its still a little scary hoping it will fall where it was intended.
No problem!
It was nice to see Keith and Jakob side by side with the chainsaws working together. This is the stuff real life is made of.
We spent the rest of the afternoon chopping and hauling firewood. It was hot. We were stinky.  It was a great afternoon with great friends.
We will never be able to repay the Fox family for all they have done for us over the years. Chainsaws are never a bad way to start though.
The Fox Family played hard.  It almost killed me.  The Schramm family worked hard.... and it almost killed me! The kids had fun, the grown ups had fun, we worked hard and slept well. 

1 comment:

Betsy Fox said...

You captured it perfectly! It was a wonderful and highly productive day! THANK YOU THANK YOU!