Monday, December 3, 2018

Wintertime is here

We must be into December. It seems mother nature and the calendar both agreed, probably for the first time ever. We started getting actual, real snow on December 1st. Corrine, Sariah and I got some tickets from friends of ours to attend the Savior of Our World performance at the conference center. At first, I wasn't sure I wanted to go because I would have had to get dressed and go outside. These are two of my least favorite things. Sacrifices for our children must be made, so away we went.
Im glad we went. It was a nice evening and gave me time to feel the spirit and reflect on the Savior and a few other things I have been pondering.
I also liked the lights at Temple Square.
While at Temple Square, we decided we would check out the giving vending machines. Oh my goodness, there are SO MANY good people.  The line for those machines was SO LONG!  We decided to just give extra to our ward giving tree instead of buying someone a chicken.  Although, I really wanted to buy a chicken out of a vending machine.
I love these girls.  They hate the fact that Im always wanting to take their pictures, but someday they will be grateful.  If not, their kids will be.
Sunday, I helped with a service project in Relief Society. We collected hats, gloves and socks to donate. I am so blessed to work with such amazing women. I have such good neighbors and friends in this ward.
Did I mention we got a lot of snow? I think we got more snow this weekend than we did the entire winter last year. After church we decided to check on a few people in the ward and see if their driveways needed to be shoveled. Hayden and Kate were excellent helpers. 
While working at one families home, another family in the ward showed up and helped us with their jeep.  Hayden couldn't stop laughing at this and he REALLY wants us to add a snow plow to our jeep.  If Corrine and I have to drive in the snow more than two or three days, Hayden might get his wish!  Thank you for helping us fellow ward members!
After shoveling one driveway, Keith remembered why he prefers the tractor.  Work smarter, not harder. He got the tractor for another neighbors house.
At one point in time, I told Kate to throw the snow to the light post.  She thought I said "light bulb."  I wasn't paying much attention to her and she said "thats going to be hard!"  Then, I started getting snow on my head. I turned around and saw she was trying to throw the snow up to the light bulb.  Uh, no.
Why weren't the three older kids helping shovel?  That is an excellent question. They got tickets to go to the First Presidency Christmas Devotional. They took along Isabelle (a cousin) and McKinley (a friend). They said it was very nice and very cold.
 As much as I despise driving in the snow and shoveling the driveway, I will admit..... things are pretty this morning. And, no filters.  I guess thats something that needs to be said.
Did I mention that Hayden and Orrin Hatch are BFF's?  Oh, you didn't know that?  For a scout activity a month or two ago, Hayden wrote the "great" senator a letter.  At least we think thats what prompted a return letter from Mr Hatch.  We aren't totally sure though because Hayden isn't sure.
One of my biggest regrets in life is not recording Hayden reading the letter Mr Hatch sent back.
Hayden said things like "what? I never sent him anything."  Or "I didn't say any kind words."  Maybe Mr Hatch will remember Hayden in his last will and testament.

No comments: