Thursday, September 27, 2012

Nice try mom

We have LOTS of tomatoes from our garden. I have made several batches of salsa. I decided to make my own tomato soup. I had visions of happy children eating homemade tomato soup on a snowy day. My children would be so grateful for the nice, warm, homemade soup their mother had lovingly made for them. Homemade soup would become one of their favorite childhood memories that they could go back to on cold, snowy days. I pictured something like this:
On the first actual cold day we had this fall, I warmed up the homemade bottled tomato soup I had worked so hard on. Keep in mind what I had envisioned. Instead, lunch ended up being this:
 You can also note that my kitchen is not even close to as clean as the "perfect" kitchen. Major failure on my part in several areas. Even Kate was not pleased.... and she didn't even eat any soup.
Thankfully I had made homemade bread that morning.
Kate still wasn't very pleased. I think its because she is stuck with a liquid diet. For the record, the soup was nasty. I tried it. The kids tried really hard not to hurt my feelings. They said things like "well, if you cooked it into something else, maybe it won't be so bad"  or "its not my favorite, but I guess its ok"  Or, "I really tried hard to like it".   Ya, it was bad. I have several jars of it. Soup anyone?

1 comment:

Betsy Fox said...

Oh yummy cheeks on Kate!!
This made me laugh because it reminded me of one time in my childhood when my mother attempted to make a pumpkin soup from a recipe she found in a magazine. It was AWFUL! We all sat around quietly stirring our soup. My dad bravely tasted it. He could eat anything but even he didn't like it. We all laughed and the soup was dubbed, POW soup-- prisoner of war soup