Saturday, September 1, 2012

Dear Mr. President

Dear President Obama,
Yesterday, while campaigning for your re-election you commented about the Republican National Convention. You said "it was better suited to an era of black and white tv."   I have been thinking about this comment all day. The tone in which you said it, implied that an era of black and white tv is a negative thing. I have been wondering if that era would really be such a bad thing.
Black and white television really became "mainstream" and popular not long after 1940. CBS began its first broadcast in 1937. I am not old enough to know "real" black and white television but because of the miracle of re-runs, netflix, and PBS I am able to enjoy classical black and white television shows on just about a daily basis. My personal favorites are: I Love Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show, Leave it to Beaver, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and Father Knows Best.  I must add, I prefer the episodes that were in black and white. I do not enjoy the color shows as much... and it has nothing to do with the color. It seems that the brighter the colors, the more our core value system has started to fade.
I find myself wishing I could raise my children in a town much like Mayberry. Every one knew every one. You could trust people. The children respected the adults, including their parents and school teachers.  The TV shows had parents sleeping in separate beds (ok, I like that they show it, but wouldn't really do it).  There was actually a mom and a dad in the lives of the children.  This is true except poor little Opie had to be raised by his father and aunt because his mother died. In that case, family stepped in to help each other.  Parents respected each other.  Mothers were home raising their children. When a child had a question or a problem with a friend, they went to their mom for answers. She always had a plate of warm homemade cookies and good advice. Father was in the lives of the children and he really did know best.
I then started to wonder when things went "wrong" in my mind. In 1962 the US Supreme Court ruled that "Any kind of prayer, composed by public school districts, even nondenominational prayer, is unconstitutional government sponsorship of religion."  The birth rate of children to single mothers was less than 3% in 1940 (89,500 nation wide).  In 2011, the most current number I could find was 42%.   In 1980 the US Supreme Court ruled that posting the Ten Commandments in schools is unconstitutional.  Color Television was becoming more mainstream by 1967. Now we have television shows that make gay couples mainstream, it is acceptable for single people to live together, children are a burden and in the way. We are now taught that we need to do what feels good or what we want to do with no thought to consequences, and that there is no God. That is not the attitude I want to raise my children in.
It seems the era of the 40's and 50's was much better for the family and religion. I hold values such as stable two parent homes, God, pride in country, a strong work ethic, and respect to be vital to the survival of our country. Every speaker at the Republican National Convention spoke of pride in country. They spoke of how important it is to support the family. They spoke of love and mercy.  You said that "the convention was better suited for black and white tv." The 60's brought us color television and you.
I will take the era of black and white television.

4 comments:

Betsy Fox said...

Ooh, well said! You are actually sending this letter, aren't you?

Gabrielle Kim said...

Great observation! This should be an editorial piece somewhere.
Also you may want to reconsider separate beds. Soungsik sleeps with the kids at least once a week, and I really enjoy rolling around in the king bed with two pillows and fluffy blankets all by myself! No sheet wars is actually a great thing in marriage!

Anna said...

Heehee...

Jenny Cain said...

Here here!!! Wonderfully said!