Wednesday, May 27, 2020

She's gone

Yesterday Corrine flew to California to begin her mission. Im not gonna lie. It was a rough day.  We had a packing party the night before.
The day before she left was Memorial Day. We decided it was a perfect time for dinner around the campfire.  Are hot dogs an appropriate "last supper"?
 Fire, hotdogs and marshmallows helped this one not cry about the impending departure.
Corrine was most sad about leaving her phone. Is she taking a new, nicer phone? Yes, yes she is. But she LOVES "baby Francis". Keith is buying her old phone from her and he will care for it. She was so sad and waited until the last second to hand it over.
My girls. I love that they love each other. I hope they are best friends as they continue to grow.
Im flying the CA flag in honor of Corrine. Im not sure how long I can fly the flag of the Peoples Republic of California before I feel dirty inside, but I'll try to keep it going. It may have to be a "special occasion" flag. It will come out on Corrines bday and the day she comes home.  Maybe. Does it even matter. Not really, but I like things that have meaning.  
Before we dropped Corrine off at the airport, we went out for lunch. It was a little weird eating at a restaurant, but it was also nice to know it was super clean and for a while we were the only ones in there! 
Jakob had to work on Tuesday so he wasn't able to come to the airport. They said their goodbyes the night before.
Thankfully, Jakob was able to call her for a few minutes while he was at work.
 
Corrine has been there for Sariah from the beginning. She has been a little mother. Sometimes this is very good. Sometimes this is bad. Sariah has been lucky to have Corrine help her through so many things. As sad as this day is, this will be good for Sariah as well. She needs to figure some things out on her own and not have the safety net of Corrine. I wonder how much Sariah will change?
Hayden was as stoic as ever. He didn't cry very much. He and Corrine have a pretty good relationship. She is much more patient with him than the rest of the family. Hayden said he really likes to ride 4-wheelers with Corrine and he will miss that the most.  He is a tough almost 13 year old boy. They don't have crying emotions for sisters.
Kate.  Kate is devastated. She kept talking about how hard it was when Jakob left and how this isn't any easier. She has dreaded this day since Corrine opened her call. Corrine really has been Kates second mom and they are so close.  They are so much alike.  Im grateful we have a little mini Corrine around to help take the sting away. My heart breaks every time I look at Kate. She has been so sad.
I cried. I didn't cry a ton till we got to the airport, but I couldn't keep it in after that. I still can't. I'm constantly leaking.
Only one person could take Corrine into the airport. We decided since mom gets the first hug when Corrine gets home, then dad gets the last hug. Corrine is such a daddies girl. They have a great relationship and I'm grateful for that.
This was a rough day. Keith and I had been planning on buying new couches for a couple of months now but stores have been closed. When we got home from the airport I realized I had a choice. I could sit home and watch the Delta app and sob.  Or, I could take advantage of Keith having the day off and get those couches. I can't have chocolate therapy, so I had shopping therapy. Don't judge. I'm fragile.... for 18 months I'll be fragile.
While I was drowning my sorrows in furniture shopping, my very good friend Betsy brought me flowers and kleenex. Every time I look at these flowers Im overwhelmed with the goodness and blessings I have. God is good. Friends are good.
I miss Corrine terribly.  But, she was able to call us last night and she sounded good. I felt a great deal of peace after talking to her and I am so excited we can talk to her a couple of times a week. (thank you Covid).

No comments: