Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Covid-mania

Things are slowly moving along. It feels like weeks are years and days are weeks long now. For the most part, I would say we have adjusted to the new normal. Jakob, Corrine and Sariah participated in their monthly friends game night. I'm glad they were able to spend an evening with their friends, but I'm sad the friends were not able to come to our house.
Kate is working on face masks. I think. I'm not sure what she is doing but she seems to be surviving.
I'm not one to take pictures of my food. I have changed how I eat to keep my kidneys and blood sugars happy. I have started taking pictures of food because there really isn't anything else to take pictures of. Things are pretty slow around here nowadays.
I had a rough weekend. On Friday evening the kids were trying their game night and I was sad their friends could not be here. On Friday night I found out a friends new baby was in the NICU. A lot of feelings came back from that experience. Then, I read that we are being STRONGLY encouraged to wear face masks in public now. After that, I learned that the store I usually go to is limiting the number of people inside. That was basically the straw that broke my back. I do not want to have to wear a face mask and wait inline outside to buy the lettuce my kidneys need. I cried Friday night. I cried most of the day on Saturday. I've had enough. I'm tired of playing this little pandemic game. We enjoyed general conference as a family and while it soothed my soul, I still cried an unnecessary amount.  Late Saturday night we got word that a friend and neighbor of ours passed away from COVID 19. His wife and daughter also have it. I can not describe the grief and despair I felt. I know things will be ok and we will be fine in the end, but it was all just too much. Sunday we participated in a very somber procession in honor of the man that passed away. It was so good for me to see close to 200 people unite together and drive past his house and wave to his wife and children.
After the Sunday session of General Conference I was filled with peace. I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father. After feeling peace, the most natural thing to do is help Kate take over the world one power plant at a time. We dominated pretty well until the very end. Keith beat us by one house.
The strangeness of life continues. We did a WhatsApp (I didn't know what that was 2 weeks ago) orthodontist appointment for Hayden. I was a little dumb when it came to running the phone and being an ortho assistant. But, we managed in the end and I guess all went well.
I have accepted my fate. Because I have a little bit of asthma and Sariahs lungs are super fragile, I accept the fact we have to be careful. We have to be a little more paranoid than the average conspiracy theorist. So, I've come to peace with the reality of wearing a mask in public. I started sewing masks. These ones are pretty good because they are adjustable and have a pocket to put a filter in. Face mask filters are impossible to find so we bought some HEPPA vacuum cleaner filters. A little bit of cutting and things are ready to go.
I do not want to ask what next week brings. I haven't asked for a couple of weeks now. We just take it and I blog about it so we can remember living through a world wide pandemic.

No comments: