Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Covid Chronicles

March and April are usually my very favorite months... well, used to be. They were tied closely with September. Now they are close to the bottom of all the months. These last two have not been the greatest. Jakob insists May is one of the best months. I'm willing to give it a try now. We continue to be in lock down and I'm really not sure how long this can last. We have trained for years in the art of being introverts and staying home. We excel do ok at homeschooling. Things are rough. Even for a seasoned homeschooling family, this doesn't feel like homeschooling. Despite popular belief, homeschoolers don't actually stay home in their little caves and have zero social experiences. We actually do have things to do outside the home and people we interact with. Maybe our social high is the smiling checker at the grocery store, but the kids haven't seen the inside of a store in at least 8 weeks. Tempers are strained. There are extra tears. There have been a lot of unkind things said. I'm only talking about myself. The kids seem to be handling things better than I am. My saving grace has been the weather. FINALLY things have decided to be warmer and we are getting some nice sunshine days. I make sure to get at least one walk in every day. Sometimes more. Lots more. Various family members join for walks.
Funny to think a few years ago Jakob and Corrine tried to kill each other on a regular basis. They seem to be better friends these days. I'm grateful for that. 
I love not going places. I really do. I like that we haven't had to rush off a thousand different directions. The disadvantage is we have no real reason to get ready for the day. There is no reason to double check the 7 year olds outfit choices or to comb her hair.
For now, I don't mind getting out in the garden. It gives me purpose and sunshine.
I like seeing all the helpers in the garden area. Good work and a good soaking up of some vitamin D seems to have helped everyone's spirits.
I took more food pictures. I know, I have issues. The weight loss has stalled this week and I am beyond frustrated. I share this in hopes that when I'm past this point I can look back and appreciate the struggle. That, or I can pinpoint the exact moment it truly fell apart.
In other news, our only extrovert is having a hard time. We finally helped him arrange a D&D game over zoom with his friends. Did the game go well? I don't know. Did they have a lot of success? I don't care. He visited with friends in the basement which is where all 12 year old boys should be anyway.
Kate gets a tinker crate every month for school. She begged Keith for a couple of days to help her with the most current one. He is a good daddy to take the time to play with her and teach her.
Sunday we broke some social distancing guidelines. (Maybe) We went to my parents for dinner. As far as you can prove, there were 9 people there... below the 10 person "suggestion." Sadly, we found out this week that my mom has cancer and will be starting chemo. Gabri talked her into getting a picture with the kids before she starts sporting a scarf or various hot pink wigs.
Like I said, April has not been the greatest month. Seems like we can't catch a break anywhere. 2019 was a very hard year for me. VERY. I had hopes for 2020 to be a little better. We are only 4 months in.  Just when Im ready to call uncle, Heavenly Father gives me little reminders that He is in charge and He has this.  I am very blessed. I felt such peace on my evening walk last night.
Things will be ok.

No comments: