Wednesday, March 18, 2020

What a year!


What a year this week has been! I wrote one week ago and since then the entire world has turned upside down. Things are not only changing daily, they are changing hourly. Before the entire week fell apart, Sariah and I went to a Sweet Salt fashion show. It was a lot of fun and something neither of us has ever done!
The next morning, things started to change in our world. The Coronavirus starting taking over our lives. Corrine got a notice that the MTC is closed so she will be doing that from home. Homeschool MTC. Well, ok. After reeling from that news, Hayden and Kate thought it best to go outside and split some firewood.
This has become my new favorite friend. I will never tell how much we have. I will say with this and the amount of toilet paper(which people are hoarding and it is now impossible to find) Keith and I could sell it and have our retirement money.
How do we handle quarantining ourselves? Well, thankfully my kids have been homeschooled by an introvert mother. We have been preparing for this. So, their days haven't changed much. Kate worked on her tinker-crate just like she would have otherwise. Hayden worked on his science kit just like he would have. It was a treat to have Jakob home though. That doesn't usually happen during school days.
Corrine had do to some school via the internet. I guess this is what homeschool college looks like.
Im not a germ-a-phobe exactly, but this has raised my paranoia. My stash of handiwipes is finally coming in handy.
We are supposed to social distance. Playing games via skype with cousins in MI counts as social distancing, right?
We may have broken the social distancing thing just a little.  But, we did it BEFORE the curfew was supposed to take effect on Monday the 16th. On Saturday we kept our tickets and went to Desert Star. Yes, I used my WetOnes and wiped down the table. A little much? Maybe. I might be a bit of a rebel going out, but Im a careful rebel.
My birthday was Sunday morning. For a couple of weeks now I have been on a no flour and no sugar diet. I was a little sad when I realized there would be no birthday cake or treats. Anna and Corrine searched the handy dandy internet and found a no flour no sugar "cake" that I could have. It was pretty good!
Happy Coronovirus birthday to me! Get your masks and keep that social distancing! I guess I should have been wearing my gloves.  Ooops.
 Isn't it beautiful?! I think they need to make it again for me. Today. For dinner.
Things got really crazy when church was CANCELLED!!!  No church!  Wow. Just wow. It was amazing to see how Heavenly Father has been preparing us for this. We had Come Follow Me. We have access to so many gospel things we can use. We were able to do the sacrament at home and that was something I'll never forget.
Sunday game night! This virus has been scary and keeping us home more, but it is also allowing us to come closer as a family as closer to the Spirit. What a blessing!
Ok, the fun and games lasted about 2 hours. Then, we had enough of family time. People were getting.... too close. We decided an afternoon walk would be a daily and necessary thing to have in our new covid routine.
After Anna stayed the weekend, it became clear she would need to move out of her apartment at BYU. Colleges closed. What a weird week. So, Corrine and I went and packed her up and moved her to our house for a while.


Oh, yes... we had a little bit of a holiday in the middle of all of this. St Patricks Day. Because everyone has to keep their social distance, a few ward members decided to put clovers in their windows so we could walk or drive around looking for them. Some people even had treats out! What a fun way to feel a little normal for just a few minutes.
Kate likes to play with her counting bugs. I asked her what they were doing.  "They are lining up to see the doctor because they are going to die from the Conoravirus."  Oh... oh good. Im glad to see we haven't scared you in any way.

Then, when we finally thought we would have one normal-ish day.... we got a 5.7 earthquake at 7 in the morning. It was quite freaky. We have felt a few aftershocks today. It was the motivation I needed to put that museum putty I bought a few months ago to use. In good news, my shelf got dusted and now everything is tacked down... hopefully.
I would say here's hoping for a better day tomorrow, but I don't even dare. We are still preparing for stricter guidelines for this virus. Right now we are told to keep groups smaller than 10 people. Social distance. The airport was closed half the day because of the earthquake. We closed our borders with Canada because of the virus. A lot of airlines are only doing 1/2 their work and unless you are an American Citizen, you aren't getting in the country through the airports. The economy is tanking. We are loosing so much money in the stock market. Time to set out a lemonade stand with hand sanitizer and toilet paper. I think we would have more than 10 people coming though... that might be a problem.

No comments: