Wednesday, March 27, 2019

What do we do?

While at a robots competition I had a friend ask me "So, what does the Schramm family do when they aren't doing robots?  What does a typical Saturday look like for you?"  Well, it's not anything very exciting, I can tell you that.  I guess thats why we get excited about robots.  At the beginning of the summer we outline some projects we would like to get done. Mostly, those projects are picked out of necessity. Soon, I can share with you the 2019 list. Right now, we have one week between robot competitions. These are the types of things we do.  Sariah is 15. She is studying to take the drivers test so she can get her learners permit. On Thursday, she wasn't really feeling motivated to study. She wasn't even sure she wanted her driving permit. I decided to take her to the church parking lot to give her a taste of driving and see if we couldn't find some motivation.
Motivation was found.  Sometimes I question my judgement though.  This is frightening. I'll warn you when she officially starts driving on the roads.... or sidewalks. For now, we will stick to church parking lots.
I have been looking for some kind of sport for Hayden to do. I needed something that would challenge him but still be a lot of fun. Keith said wrestling. The boy is super tiny but freakishly strong. I asked around and found some place that he could join. I guess we are now an official wresting family.
I had so much fun watching him the first day. I have never seen anyone so made to do something. Hayden LOVED everything about this. He wasn't afraid to get in there and try and he was laughing the entire time. He has never enjoyed something like he enjoyed this.  These are just the warm ups.... walking on hands and carrying partners. Hayden is in the long black pants carrying the boy in black shorts and red shirt. No problem.  Absolutely no problem. All of that firewood carrying was excellent training.
Im always busy (robot season or not) with relief society things. Thursday night we had A Very Merry UnBirthday party.  I will say, I had nothing to do with this. I am not even close to creative. The ladies I work with are amazing. They are so talented and just run with it. My job is to get out of their way and let them go.
On Friday night Jakob was with friends. Corrine and Sariah went to a movie with some friends. Hayden was at a birthday party. Kate was stuck home with Keith and I. It felt like a foreshadow of her life to come. We decided to take her to the movie theater since we had some gift cards. She was so funny and awesome to hang out with us. No, we didn't go to the same theater as Corrine or Sariah. We didn't want them to ruin our fun.
Ok, it is still the week between robot competition. So, yes, there was a little robot work to be done. Keith had a few ideas to make the robot "head" work a little better so he and the girls worked on it.  Corrine likes to weld.
 Awwwwh, my robot people.
This Sunday we had our gospel study at Keiths moms house. Kate loves it because her cousin comes as well. She and Sadie were "racing horses."   I don't know who won. It was a pretty close and scary race.
 Ice cream is always good after filling ones self with spiritual goodness.
Sariah loves grandmas old books. I will admit, I do too!
Grandma had a calligraphy project she wanted Corrines help with. Corrine didn't mind spending Sunday afternoon working on this project. I think these things bring her peace and help center her.  Calligraphy centering is always good on a week between robot competitions.
This is proof that we really do have actual gospel discussions.  I really love these discussions with extended families. It has been a great 3 months so far.
A good neighbor of ours knows we like firewood. He kindly dropped off some wood for us. The problem is, it was dropped right in front of the gate and the robots trailer is behind that gate. We need that trailer in a couple of days for a competition. So, out of desperation, we had to move the firewood. Because we were limited on time, I got to learn how to run a chainsaw.  How have I never learned to do this? Things were not very glamorous, but it was kind of fun.
Hayden desperately wanted to drive the tractor. I think he should have hauled the firewood with his hands and work on that wrestling training. I guess drivers training is also a good thing to have. This tractor has been the first step for all of our drivers.
These are the kinds of thing we do. We are also working really hard on school work before the end of the school year.  Corrine and Kate were trying to figure out some college algebra. I think one of them  understood it, eventually. 
The kids doing a pretty good job pushing to the finish line. A few more days of robots and then it will be all school all the time!

No comments: