Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Robotic Kidneys

This last week seems to have lasted forever. Has it only been one week? I think not. I'll trust the calendar and report on this last weeks happenings. The big news was the First Robotics Competition in SLC. The competition in SLC is always very competitive and this year did not disappoint. There were some really good teams that came with some pretty impressive robots.  We ended the regional in 6th place which was not horrible considering how competitive it was. We were the captains of the 5th seed alliance and made it to a tie breaker game in the semi-finals.
Kate LOVES robots. She wanted to help the scouts "scout".  This is where they document what each robot on the field can do. The robot she was watching died about 10 seconds after the match started. These are Kates notes on that particular robot.
Some times things get rather intense while the inspectors go over the robot with a fine tooth comb. Our "pit crew" is the best.
Corrine was the head "scout" or strategist.  Her job was to take the information the scouts were collecting and use that data to know how to best help our team win. Where are weaknesses? What strengths do our alliance partners have? What is the best strategy? Corrine is scary good at this job. Its spooky. Don't get on her bad side in a game. Certainly don't tell her she can't play strategy games.
We finally had an almost spring like day so we could enjoy lunch outside with the team. This is a fun time to listen to team members talk about strategy and discuss what the next match will be like and how the robot is behaving.
Grandma and Grandpa Cain came to watch a couple of matches. Kate was very willing to be the tour guide.  She explained the games to them and explained all about the "pits" and the robot to grandpa. 
Last year Keith got his "major award".  Because of that, he was asked to present the next "major award" to this years winner. He has now got and given a major award. I need to get his autograph.
Keith and his drive team. These are great kids and Keith works so well with them. He has a great talent of coaching these kids. I have never seen a better example of someone that can mentor and work with "kids these days". He is so great with these young men. He has such a talent teaching the team how to build the robot and then navigate all of the political stuff that goes on during the games.  Everyone is now wondering, was this the end of an era? Was this the last regional? We don't know. More to come on that, Im sure.
Robots weekend is SO EXHAUSTING. We got home about 7 that night and got everyone into bed early by 10. We were looking forward to much needed rest. Sadly,  at about 11:30pm I woke Keith up and had him take me to the ER. Kidney stones. This is the battle wound from my blood work. I always bruise. I don't usually match my shirt so well.
Because of the kidney stones, I had kind of been out of it for a few days. I came out of the room on Tuesday morning and saw a small army gathering for battle in the family room. It was spooky.  I don't know how things turned out. I got my bottle of water and headed for safer territory.
I have been so blessed with friends and neighbors that brought food and treats to our family. There are few things as humbling as kidney stones. Corrine has also been very sick, so these blessings have been greatly appreciated. Reflecting on the last couple of days I have realized there are a few things that are ESSENTIAL to my well being. If I do not do those things, my  health suffers. I wish I didn't have to have such a painful reminder, but I am grateful for the reminder and the lessons learned. I am looking forward to the next week. Spring like weather, better health, general conference, and maybe a battle in my family room. Personally I'm rooting for team red.

No comments: