Sunday, October 15, 2017

Let it go!

As most of you know, I have been on an "essentials" kick that has progressed from the summer into the beginning of the school year and now deep into fall. I would say it all started about 4 and a half months ago.  During that time, I evaluated the activities our family does and the things we spend our time on. I determined that I was always stressed out worrying about the next thing I was "supposed" to get done.  So, I've done a couple of things. 1) Don't do the things that stress me out. If it causes that much stress and makes me a crazy person, maybe that particular activity isn't worth it. Maybe I am putting more stress on myself than others are. So, we have cut out activities our family used to participate in. I have cut back on things I do as a Relief Society President. If you are interested, I can give you a more detailed list. And... 2) I try not to care. Im trying really hard to not let things bother me. I try hard to realize what is in my control and what isn't.  Its amazing how much really isn't in my control.  However, I have not mastered this yet. I know what I need to do, but actually doing it is much harder.   I was curious if this new change of attitude/behavior has actually made a difference. Was it worth it cutting out the things we have?  I asked the kids and here are their responses:  Hayden said "Well, I think you are really stressed all the time. You have so much to worry about"  "but, you don't yell as much."  Sariah said "You seem stressed. You always are."  Well... ok. Not really what I was expecting. Obviously I need to take work harder and maybe go another 4-5 months before I ask for feedback. Kate said "you seem... ya know, normal."  Great.  Then she clarified and said "its like calm. Almost happy"  Well, thats better!  Almost happy is at least going in the right direction. Corrine and Jakob both said I've been much less stressed. They both said I just let them go a little more and Im not as "naggy" as before. Oh, thank you, I think.   Ok.  I get it.  I'll just let this go for now and maybe I can have another moment of reflection in another 4 months.

No comments: