Monday, May 8, 2017

Poetry and Shadow

We had a crazy evening. We had to rush to a poetry recitation that Hayden participated in with some of his other book club friends. I mentioned to Jakob that we were going to do this and he said "Poetry Reading?  How did our family get involved in that sort of thing?"  We have been blessed with amazing friends that have pushed us to do things we wouldn't normally do.  Some times those things include leaving the house for a rock band concert. Today it was listening to poetry. How blessed we are to have the Fox Family in our lives. We are so blessed to have this group of friends for our kids. I will never be able to repay the families these kids come from They are such a blessing to our family and our children.
Hayden was so excited to say his memorized poem.
Here is the poem he chose:
One sister for sale!
One sister for sale!
One crying and spying young sister for sale!
I'm really not kidding,
So Who'll start the bidding?
Do I hear a dollar?
A nickel?
A penny?
Oh, isn't there, isn't there, isn't there any
One kid who will buy this old sister for sale,
This crying and spying young sister for sale? ~Shel Silverstein
Oh!!  We had to put a stop to the selling of Kate.  The good news is we still own Kate. The bad news is JUST BEFORE we were running out the door for the poetry night, the kids found their most beloved dog Shadow had died. Things got very sad very quickly. Mean old mom did not give them proper time to grieve before poetry night. So, after the poems and the picnic at the park, we came home and had a proper funeral for Shadow.
Shadow was just over 11 years old. According to the new way to calculate a dogs age.... that puts him around 88-90 years old in people years. He has been with us longer than Hayden or Kate! When Hayden first came to us, he wouldn't speak. The first day he saw Shadow he kept saying "dog! dog!"  Hayden and Keith bonded over Shadow.
We first got him because Jakob was terrified of dogs. They developed a pretty good friendship over the years.
To quote another poet we love:
Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened. ~Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

Betsy Fox said...

I'm so sorry about Shadow. The pictures with him and each of the boys are so sweet.the family held up remarkably well throughout the evening. We feel the same way about the Schramm fam! Very grateful to have have you in our lives.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry about Shadow! I remember when Brontë died and how sad that was for our family, especially for us kids :( But I'm glad to hear that Kate is still with you! Haha