Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving

This year I attempted to host Thanksgiving dinner for the Schramms. The first decision I made was to chicken out and hold the dinner at the church. I had two motives for this. First, I wouldn't have to clean my house before they came. Second, I wouldn't have to clean my house after they left. I will go to great lengths to not clean. For those of you that have been to my home, you know what Im speaking about.  The Schramms (started with Keiths mom) have a tradition of making "turkey apples".  We are more than willing to carry on any tradition that involves large gum drops.  We usually make these for Family Home Evening the Monday before Thanksgiving. This year, we decided to do apple turkeys with the cousins on actual Thanksgiving day. This gives you the idea....

Here are the finished products. Hayden doesn't understand the "apple turkeys" like the rest of us do. Most of us have the goal of cramming as many gum drops on a single apple as possible. Haydens goal is to cram as many toothpicks in an apple as possible. I asked him why he did it that way and he said "I don't like gum drops, but I do like tooth picks."   Ok. I can accept that.
Sariah made a "scary turkey" this year.  Yep, Im scared... but not of the turkey.....
Corrine stuck to a more "traditional" turkey.
I NEVER thought it would happen. I mean, we are talking about GUM DROPS!!!! But, it happened. Jakob got too cool to make an apple turkey. Im sad.
The kids enjoyed hanging out with their cousins. They played the piano for us. It was nice... in an obnoxious not actually music sort of way.
 It wouldn't be thanksgiving with out the "cool boys" table. Is that what it is still called today? I don't know if youngsters these days use words like cool or awesome. Anyway, this is where the teen age boys sit to inhale a large amount of food. They are not at the same table as anyone else.... its safer for the rest of us.
We also had the required "kids table".  It was the messiest, but I think they had the most fun.
My camera batteries died before I got a picture of the "cool girls" table.  It was there. TRUST me.

How many Thanksgiving dinners had at least one discussion about politics?  This Thanksgiving dinner had several discussions about it.  Lets just say that Kate was the only thing worth smiling about.
I can't believe Thanksgiving is done. This year has gone by so fast!  I think I'll go bond with a piece of Pumpkin Roll to make myself feel better.

No comments: