Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Grandpa Schramm

Keiths dad passed away August 18th, 2011 exactly 3 months after the car accident. He was in the hospital that entire time. It has been a very stressful and emotional roller coaster ride for us. For the record, I do not like roller coasters. This one particularly stunk. I enjoyed the blessing of making a dvd slide show of Pauls life. It was fun (sometimes stressful) to look back at all of the pictures and hear stories about him. Im very proud of the dvd I made and if you honestly want to watch all 14 minutes of it, I would love to show you. :) To spare you the time of the dvd, I wanted to post some pictures from Pauls life and also from the funeral.

This is Pauls first car. I really like this picture.




This picture seems simple, but I love it. I like that Paul is with his boys doing "boy stuff". This was no doubt a talk about how to change something on the trailer to make it bigger and better.



On the Sunday before Paul passed away, we took the kids to the hospital to say good bye to him. I took some pictures of this and someday I might give them to the kids. However, I can not post them here tonight. I cried when I looked how sad and frail Paul was. I want to remember him loving his grandkids and not looking so sick and frail. Hayden did not want to get very close to grandpa. There was something about the hospital that made Hayden very naughty and he didn't cooperate to the best of his ability. Im grateful I got this for the other kids though.

This is Sariah saying goodbye.



This is Corrine saying goodbye.



This is Jakob saying goodbye.



Paul loved tools. He had every tool a guy could think of. He also knew how to use them. Im pretty sure he could fix anything. He also loved jelly beans. He was always sneaking jelly beans to the kids. We decided that we needed to hand out jelly beans to people at grandpas funeral. We also wanted a bouquet of tools. My amazingly talented sister in law made the tool flower bouquet.





The funeral service itself was very nice. I thought all of the speakers did a great job and the music was beautiful. I was really feeling the spirit and enjoying the service. Just at the very end of the closing remarks, I looked down at Hayden. Blood was dripping down his hands, shirt, and tie. He was covered in blood. I gasped, grabbed his hands, and ran him out of the meeting. I took him to the bathroom and started frantically cleaning him up. I could hear the closing song. I knew that I did not have time to get him all cleaned up before I was supposed to be in the car and going to the cemetery. I had a moment of panic. I got his shirt and tie off him and then paused.... blood needs hot water or cold? My mind was totally blank. I gambled and picked the cold. Thank heavens, I got his shirt and tie very clean. They were now however, soaking wet. By now the funeral service was over. I dragged Hayden back into the meeting and found my mom and dad. HELP! Thats all I could think to do. Give him to mom and dad, and they will fix it. Thank heavens they did! They took him and got him a new shirt, fed him lunch, and watched him while we did the graveside meeting and the family luncheon. It was such a blessing. So, this is our family at the graveside, minus one bloody Hayden.



When we go to cemeteries, (not very often thank heavens) we like to look at graves. I always wonder about those people and their stories. Sariah has been on this reading kick and noticed there were words on the headstones. Keith was helping her read this one and they were talking about death and all of that really fun stuff 7 year olds wonder about.



Jakob and his cousin Andrew doing the walk around and look at headstones thing.



Corrine looking at headstones.




After the graveside service, we went back to the church for the traditional lunch. Sariah actually told me she was cold. I was so hot (not the good looking kind of hot) and I could not believe she was cold. Anyway, she was pretty excited when she got to wear Keiths jacket.



We love you grandpa.

1 comment:

Jaci said...

this is very sweet. thanks. jaci