Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Wednesday Ramblings

This last week has been a blur. We officially finished the last week of robot build season. I will say this has been the most brutal, stressful, and time consuming build season we have ever experienced.  One night went as late as 2am... or was it 3? I think it was 3am. I noticed these stickers on Sariahs backpack. They pretty much sum up robot build season.
Bag night! For better or worse, the robot is bagged and they can't take it out until we are in Arizona in a month. That was the last bag night for Corrine. Maybe it was the last bag night for Keith.
While Keith was killing himself at robots, I took Hayden to the scouts basketball game. Let's just say Keith and I were both sacrificing for our children that day. Hayden is there in the middle with the grey shirt. He is the smallest player.  Unfortunately for him, our family does better in robots than we do in sports. I did realize the boy needs some kind of physical outlet. Im currently looking into a sport/physical activity he can do through high school. I would like something cheap, something that does not conflict with my already crazy schedule, and something that makes him tired. Maybe we will stick to our back up plan of splitting firewood. Oh, for the record, we were the "home" team. And to quote Hayden "I didn't make a single point."
Our nephew Tanner came home from serving his mission in Colombia. It was nice to see these two cousins speaking Spanish.
 Jakob goes to the singles ward, so Kate doesn't get to see him at church very often. She took the opportunity to sit with Jakob at the mission homecoming. I'm glad these two are friends.
We have had several small earthquakes with the epicenter in Bluffdale. Because we are so exhausted from robots season, we were the only people in Bluffdale to have slept through the earthquakes. Despite not being woken up early in the morning, I did wake up to the fact that I need to update our 72 hour kits. It had been a year and a half or so since I updated them.   OR NOT.  I had not realized how much time has gone by. 6 years!!  It has been 6 years since I looked at those! The kids, sizes, needs, food expiration dates and children's abilities have changed so much in 6 years!
I thought it would take me one afternoon to update the kits and I could check that project of my list and sleep better. NOT SO! As I started digging, it became more and more clear how unprepared we are. I have spent the last 4 days  working on updating the kits. I had to order 2 new backpacks for Jakob and Corrine. I had to order new food. By the time I bumped down clothes to the younger kids, Corrine didn't have a kit at all. Im still waiting for some things to come in. When I get everything here, I will blog specifically about 72 hour kits. In the meantime, my family room is cluttered with 72 hour kit parts. Im also considering a go fund me to pay for this project that was supposed to cost $100 and 3 hours. I under estimated time and money a great deal.
If anyone is keeping track, it is still February. I still do not like February. It is still snowing about every 3 days and Im still tired of shoveling the driveway.  This coming week, my goal is to sleep more. I would also like to get the 72 hour kits completed and put away for another 6 years or so.

No comments: