Friday, August 4, 2017

Essential need for sumer to end

I must start with a quote from my sister in law, Julie, "This is the summer that will not die!"   Don't get me wrong, I love summer vacation. I like a slight change to my routine. Even I, the hater of all things fun, must have something different to do. This summer has been super busy! It could have been a lot worse, but its been busy enough for my taste.  Jakob has been gone and I think sometimes Im still adjusting to that. Will I ever get used to it?
Corrine has been spending A LOT of time working. This is good because she has earned a raise, respect, and money for her mission. We also get pizza more often than we should.  Corrine has also gone on a couple of camps. I doubt her life will slow down anytime soon but I would like to see her home..... once and a while.
Sariah has grown up over the summer and Im not sure when or how that even happened. She wanted a more "grown up" look before school started.  Before:
After:
Sariah has been busy camping as well.  She is also picking up a few more babysitting jobs so she isn't home as often. Its all good, right?

Hayden has been doing soccer and tae kwon do two mornings a week. I have really enjoyed this particular activity. It gets him out of the house and burning some energy. It has been a very good thing for both of us.  He has also spent time with his cousin, so I like that.
Kate has found herself stuck at home alone with mom more often than not. She has become a pretty good helper. She enjoys grocery shopping.
Kate also enjoys gymnastics.  A LOT.  She gets up very early on gymnastics days and is ready to go. If she can learn that elusive cartwheel she will move up a level. Her favorite pre-gymnastics activity is selfies with mom.
I have been deep into cleaning. I got the basement nice and clean....all ready for company to come at the end of August. Then the basement flooded. That was not an essential activity.
I have also found time to do some preparation for the upcoming school year. If you talk to me at all on a regular basis, you have heard me preach "good, better best!"  I have been feeling that we have been involved in a lot of good and even better things. But, a lot of the "best" things are slipping away. I have great plans for doing..... NOTHING.  If you talk to me at all on a regular basis, I have mentioned this book. I have mentioned it way more than you want to hear it.  This is my blog, so I'll mention it again.  If you feel like you are running around and can't find enough time to do ANYTHING, you MUST read this book. If you are drowning in every thing, read this book. If you need permission to NOT do stuff and NOT feel guilty about it, you need to read this book.
We have decided to drop the younger kids First Lego League. Corrine has stopped taking piano lessons, art lessons and calligraphy. Before you totally die of shock, Corrine will still play the piano and she teaches piano lessons. Corrine has switched her regular weekly art class for an on line BYU art class. Upon further thought, Kate will not be participating in younger kids book club or younger kids science club. *GASP*  Where on earth will she learn her social skills?!  Well, at this point I don't care. If a pack of wolves can raise a kid in the jungle, I'll attempt it in the jungle I call home. She might be in her gymnastics uniform for days on end. Her hair probably won't get combed every day. But, Im going for only the essentials this school year. She will be fed.
Im looking forward to the death of this summer. Its been good, but its time to find the blessed comfort that can only be found in routine. Its not you summer, its me. Its essential that we move on.

No comments: