On Monday, Memorial Day, we were supposed to drive up Fairview canyon and see the property Keiths parents have. We plan on camping there with my family over the 4th of July. We got within about 5 miles of the property and found that the forest service had the area closed because of too much snow. We had planned on eating lunch in the mountains and then going back home. So, we changed plans quickly and decided to eat lunch in the large metropolis of Fairview. I LOVE it there. I really love small towns. If Keith could figure out how to make money from a very small town, I would move in a heart beat. We found this little picnic table outside of a museum in town. Little did we know what treasures awaited us. First, we wandered around the outside and admired all of the cool things to see. This is Sariah and her cousin Isabelle looking at "old stuff".
Keith teaching the girls about the "old stuff" tools.
Corrine and Elyssa loved hanging out together. They also loved this "really big thing-y".
It has only taken almost a year, but Kate is finally warming up to Grandpa. She doesn't do people outside of her immediate family. At all. Not ever. Not anyone. Grandpa took her around outside and showed her all kinds of cool stuff.
Outside, the museum had TONS of old pioneer wagons. There were so many and they were so cool. This one is Sariahs favorite.
This one is Haydens favorite.
I just included this picture because I think its pretty.
Kate LOVES her Jakob. He pretty much does what ever she tells him to. Who wouldn't love that?
Inside the museum they had a giant skeleton of a wooly mammoth that had been found in the Fairview area. Hayden loved this thing.
Corrine liked the old piano inside one of the museums. This piano was used in the first theater in Fairview. The museum lady let the kids play it for a little bit. It was pretty cool.
Priesthood power!
This is a thing that was made to remember those that died in the "camps of Israel". It is HUGE and I was amazed at the workmanship.
Sariah LOVED this castle made out of marble. She also likes hanging out with cousins Isabelle and Evelyn. I couldn't believe the detail in it.
Grandpa taught some of the grandkids about telephone switch boards and relay systems. This was probably all of the kids favorite thing at the museum.
Sariah was hilarious when she picked up the old phone and tried pushing the numbers in..... not rotating them. Keith had to teach her how the phone worked.
Although I think this stove is WAY COOL, Im grateful I don't have to cook every meal on it. How hard would that be?
I think I have been taking too many pictures. Kate started to anticipate the flash from the camera and I got her to make some pretty funny faces.
Now I just point the camera in her general direction to watch her pull faces and laugh. I digress..... Sariah found this old school desk. She said she prefers home school, but the teacher desk was pretty cool. I think I want a sign on my desk that says "instructor desk".... just in case anyone questions my standing or authority.
A few days after memorial weekend, we FINALLY got our garden planted. If you haven't used tarps, you need to! This is the only way to garden.
This is not one of my favorite pictures. Actually, I don't think I have any favorite pictures of me. One of the young womens projects is to work on a garden. Since Corrine and I are doing personal progress together, we wanted this picture together of our "beginning" of the garden this year. Hopefully we can have some cool pictures of a finished garden with a great crop of food.
Im grateful for the pioneers that sacrificed so much for us. I grateful we were able to spend an unplanned day in the museum in Fairview. If you need something to do for a day, I HIGHLY recommend it. Im also grateful for the things I have learned and for the desire (sometimes) my kids have to learn and keep traditions going.
1 comment:
The museum was so fun! I am so glad we stumbled upon it! We should "stumble" upon things more often!
Post a Comment