Saturday, July 1, 2023

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day... until it wasn't.

 Last Wednesday was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Back up. Monday started it. On Monday, the clothes dryer died. We have a laundry line, and I did use it on Monday, but it isn't something I want to totally depend upon. Up until this week, it seems it has rained every single afternoon. I needed a dryer. Keith was scheduled for nose surgery on Friday. I needed a dryer before the surgery. I found a dryer in Orem, so Wednesday morning I called Keith at work and let him know the girls and I were headed out. He hesitated a bit, reminded me that one of the tires on the truck wasn't great, but also feeling the pressure for a dryer before surgery, he cautioned me to be careful. So, carefully we went to Orem, got the dryer and headed home. Just before American Fork (about 15 miles from home) on the very busy freeway, the tire blew. And it blew BIG.

 For a split second, it was as if I wasn't aware of anything happening as we headed straight to the cement barrier. Then, I felt Keiths dad(who passed away 12 years ago) take the wheel, get me centered in the lane, and snap be back to reality. I was able to slow down, get on the side of the road, without hitting any other cars or barriers. Looking back, I consider that a great blessing. Corrine, the ever independent "Corrinie do it by self" jumped into action, looking for the jack, and the spare tire. I inspected the damage. It wasn't good. 

 After much searching, and calling Keith and my dad on the phone, we finally managed to find the parts needed to get the spare tire. As this was happening, the incident management guy showed up. Wow! He really managed our incident. He was so kind, so fast, and had just the right tools. 

 He even helped use wire to tie back the fender... that's how you know it was done proper. He got us on our way. 

 I learned several lessons from this experience. 

1) Know where the parts to get the spare tire are. Who knew they would be above the radiator?

2) Dads. My dad and Keith's dad helped us. I'm sure grandpa Schramm prevented a major accident. My dad was (as he always is) a very calming influence especially when things tend to be a little exciting. Dad is my go-to. 

3) Listen to the spirit. Keith felt that we should not go. He was prompted this would happen. The pressure of needing a dryer by a deadline we imposed on ourselves was too much. No matter what else is going on, don't justify ignoring a prompting. 

4) Even when we ignore a prompting, Heavenly Father loves us. He wants to help. He gives us what we need even (and especially when) we don't deserve it. We needed Keith's dad. I needed my dad. We really needed the incident management guy. He had the knowledge and the tools for that specific incident. He was prepared.

No comments: