This particular animal broke out of his pasture and ate my favorite flowers. WARNING... the rest of the pictures are kind of graphic. WARNING. Don't scroll anymore. Or do, whatever. Its a story that must be written... but probably doesn't have to be read.
As Jakob was coming home from school the other day, he ran into the house and shouted something was wrong with Juicy. We all ran out (being the responsible animal owners we are). Sure enough he was lying on the ground and having a hard time breathing. I told Corrine to call Keith while I ran inside to try a vet. Before I was able to actually get a vet on the phone, the cow had moved on to much greener pastures. No longer needing a vet, I quickly changed gears and called the butcher. He then informed me I had seconds to slit the cows throat and bleed it out. Uh, right. I quickly instructed Jakob to get a sharp butcher knife (what other kind would I use?) and slit its throat. Lets just say that Jakob dry heaved a few times I realized I would have to do the deed. It is a strange thing how in a few seconds several things can go through ones mind. It was as if time stopped for a moment. I took a few seconds to cry. I was sad at the incredible loss of investment. This was A TON of money just gone. I was scared. I really didn't want to slit this throat. I also felt like that dad in Christmas Story.... no more turkey sandwiches, no more turkey casserole...... except I was mourning the loss of PERFECT ground beef. The best tasting beautiful ground beef that would never need to be drained. I digress..... I got the knife and marched into the pasture. I started to cut. Corrine put her hand on my back and offered some moral support. After a few minutes she suggested we trade. She cut. I've often wondered about Lucy Mac Smith. Im pretty sure Corrine is the closest person I will ever know to Lucy. She is a tiny little thing, but man..... when something has to be done, you can count on Corrine. We did our best to slit that throat but we really didn't get enough blood out. In the mean time several other things were happening. Keith was on the speaker phone trying to offer support, advice and instruction from work. He also used another phone to call our neighbor (a cow expert) to come to our aid. I will forever be grateful to Curt for coming. Curt is the biggest Aggies fan and always teases me about flying my University of Utah flag. I just might have to fly an Aggies flag now and then for Curt. Digressing again....... Curt showed up and helped us finish the throat slitting portion of the activities. I got on the phone and begged the butcher to come. He would not. We can't save the meat. Throw it all away. Curt got on the phone with the butcher. Butcher wouldn't come. We can't save the meat. Keith was not going to give up. He called his brother, Brian, who butchers elk all the time. Can't be that hard, right? Brian got to our house about the same time as Keith. They both went to work to see how much meat they could save.
I had to run to the store to get butcher paper and freezer bags. I also needed chocolate in a BAD way. Don't judge.
WARNING... for real. Here are the pictures.
Im grateful for Brian helping Keith. Im grateful Corrine stayed right by Keith all night and helped them butcher that cow.
I am starting wonder, should I be concerned that the younger 2 kids aren't more disturbed? Kate wanted to make Halloween decorations out of his eyes.
Our amazing neighbors came and helped butcher the cow until LATE into the night.
The next morning, Keith had to take time off work to haul the carcass off. Once again, thank you Curt for helping him. Also, reason #17987628 to have a tractor while living in Bluffdale.
We then had to let the meat sit in open bags in the fridge for a couple of days. Then, we could start cutting and wrapping the chunks. We even started making our own ground beef.
It has been a horribly draining week. We are all emotionally, physically, and mentally exhausted. It has also been 7 days and we haven't had any beef. Corrine said she is going to be vegetarian for a solid month. I might attempt meat for dinner tonight. Im not sure if I can do the "fresh" Juicy meat though. Ok, maybe I did write over 1,000 words. It's out of my system, and we can all move on.









3 comments:
I want to nominate this post as one of....well, I'm not sure WHAT category it should REIGN Supreme over......but it should win SOMETHING!!!!
NO WORDS! What a story. Holy ....errr cow....steer? You are amazing!
PS - that was my comment above. :) A Lauper
Post a Comment