Saturday, January 4, 2014

Best of times and worst of times

It was the best of times and the worst of times. I'll start with the best of times. We have been on Christmas break for a full 2 weeks. We have all stayed up late and slept in sort of late. I will say we have got a few things accomplished, but there has been a lot of playing. Best of times!  Our very good friends, the Nyes came to stay for New Years. We always have so much fun with them. It is always so nice to have good friends to visit with and play games with.  The dads had a pretty intense game of air hockey. Best of times.
The moms game wasn't as intense. Im not very good. But, it was a lot of fun.  The grown ups played a best of three game of pool.  The Nyes against the Schramms.  Honestly, I don't know who won. I do know that I can't play and poor Keith should have been given some kind of advantage or handicap like they do in golf. Its not fair he had to be my partner.  Again, I had a lot of fun. I never once looked this good or professional. Best of times.
The kids entertained themselves with games, movies, dancing, and lots of general silliness. I like this picture because Kaylees hair is so cool flipping around like it is. Best of times.
Hayden lost his first tooth. This is a best of times for him. My other kids lost their first tooth really close to their 5 year old birthday. Hayden is 6 and a half. He was pretty excited to FINALLY loose a tooth today.  Its another sign the kids are all growing up. Worst of times.
Worst of times, or best of times? You decide. I think I mentioned that Jakob and Keith are doing a robot competition. Things are pretty intense. They have 6 weeks to design and build a robot. This is not a little cardboard robot.  This is a $20,000 robot. *shameless beg... if you have 20K laying around, the team would appreciate your donation* Today was day 1 of the 6 weeks. They found out that the robot has to shoot a ball about 6 feet in the air, or shoot to baskets in the corner on the ground. They will also need to pick up the ball and pass it to another robot.  They plan on building almost every evening and Saturdays for the next couple of months. CRAZY. After their initinal meeting, Jakob and Keith both came home excited to test some ideas out. Yes, that is an air compressor in my house. No, it will not remain in my house for 8 weeks. 6 maybe. 8, NEVER.
This is a giant ball that will be living in my house for a couple of months. A ball that the kids can not play with. RIGHT. Worst of times.
Doing pretty complex math problems and thinking they are fun?  Best of times. Dad and son bonding? Best of times. Engineer talk at the table? Best of times.... we have a bunch of little engineers that like to design and build things. I don't understand much of what anyone is talking about. Worst of times. I retreat to my computer alone. Best of times.  Math is fun on a Saturday night. Best of times. 
They are currently shooting things out the back door with the air compressor.  Best of times for them. Worst of times for my neighbors.

1 comment:

Abe Fox said...

AWESOME-themed Post!! And I am so excited for PrototypeX (the robotics team)!!!